What is Social Media ?
It is the future of communication, an arsenal of tools and platforms based on internet which increase and better the sharing of information. This new mean makes the transfer of texts, photos, audios, videos or information in general, flows between users and the Internet. Social Media has relevance not only between common users, but also in business.
For Mark W. Schaefer, the author of The Tao of Twitter, says that Social Media has 3 main characteristics :
- Evolution : it changed the way that we communicate ( for example, replacing e-mails in several cases )
- Revolution : we have access to instant free global communication
- Contribution : it stands out because of its ability to share and contribute with others.
Who cares about Social Media ?
It is important to arm your business with a smart, nimble team to ensure every inbound message and outbound opportunity is addressed. We have to main roles that look after Social Media :
- The first one is a Social Media Manager; is responsible for being the brand on social media. They create content, respond to comments, answer questions, and much more as the brand. Social media managers, more often than not, deal with people who have a relationship with, or have heard of, the brand.
- The other one is Community Manager; is responsible for advocating the brand on social networks. They create their own social persona and actively go out within the online community to connect with potential customers and advocate the brand. Community managers typically deal with those who haven’t heard of the business they work for and boost awareness for the company.
They should take care on not committing this errors :
- Use the wrong tone
- Try to be “ cool ”
Spelling and grammatical errors
- Be offensive
- Fail to be original
- Copy and paste
- How we communicate
SMO (Social Media Optimization)
Same as we worry about our organic positioning or SEO ( methodology of strategies, techniques and tactics used to increase the amount of visitors to a website by obtaining a high-ranking placement in the search results page of a search engine ), the Social Media has its own strategies to optimize the product or brand through social platforms and virtual communities ( blogs or forums, for example ). This strategy allows to increase the knowledge for the product and business development, taking advantage of the comments of the users.
The SMO goals are :
- Obtain qualified traffic
- Achieve user recommendations
- Generate Buzz Marketing ( it is a way to propagate viral the information )
Different types of Social Media
Brian Solis created the following social media chart, known as the conversation prism, to categorize social sites and services into various types of social media. Social Media Prism
The most popular nowadays ( Last Updated October 1, 2016 ) are :
- Facebook : 1,100,000,000 – Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors
- Yotube : 1,000,000,000 – Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors
- Twitter : 310,000,000 – Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors
- Linkedin : 255,000,000 – Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors
- Pinterest : 250,000,000 – Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors
- Google Plus + : 120,000,000 – Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors
- Tumblr : 110,000,000 – Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors
- Instagram : 100,000,000 – Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors
- Reddit : 85,000,000 – Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors
- VK : 80,000,000 – Estimated Unique Monthly Visitors
If you want to know the Advantage and disadvantages of Social Media, click on the link.